The 2017 legislative session promises to be a time of high stakes and hard choices. It’s never been more important for people of faith to be informed and engaged.
Weekly Witness is your opportunity to put faith into action and advocate for the common good at a time when your state needs it! Here’s the game plan:
Every Monday starting on January 16, Texas Impact will hold a short, focused advocacy training in a meeting room at the Capitol. We–and often colleagues from our partner organizations–will present timely, insider information on a “focus issue of the day,” as well as updates and next steps on other issues that are on our legislative agenda.
Following the training, participants will make scheduled or unscheduled legislative visits with their own legislators and other key members, and sometimes attend committee meetings or take advantage of other timely opportunities.
Can’t make it to Austin every week–or ever? Our trainings are broadcast live on Facebook, and our website will have handouts and advocacy materials like phone and email scripts and social media messages.
- January 9: Health Care
- January 16: Civic Participation and Voting (Martin Luther King Day)
- January 23: Hunger, Poverty and Payday Lending (UMW Legislative Event)
- January 30: Religious Freedom
- February 6: Immigrants, Refugees and Human Trafficking
- February 13: Foster Care and Domestic Violence (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Legislative Event)
We will provide additional issues for emphasis in our next newsletter, or get them online.