- In 2012, 988 delegates were elected to participate in General Conference.
- Half of the delegates to GC must be clergy, half must be lay.
- General & Jurisdictional Conferences happen once a quadrennium (every 4 years).
- 40% of delegates will be from outside the US in 2012.
- There are 13 legislative committees that consider about 1,600 pieces of legislation.
- Legislation is submitted by individuals, annual conferences, organizations, and churchwide agencies.
- All proposed legislation can be seen in the Advance Daily Christian Advocate on the www.gc2012.org website.
- In 1744, John Wesley held the first ‘Preacher’s Conference’. Holy conferencing has a history longer than the Methodist Church.
Want to Learn More? Go Online!
- UMC General Conference 2012 website www.gc2012.umc.org
- Common Witness Coalition GC2012 website (MFSA, RMN, & Affirmation http://gc12.org/
- Advance Edition Daily Christian Advocate (ADCA) http://www.umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.7959675/k.2BA2/General_Conference
- The Official Mobile App of The United Methodist Church General Conference 2012 http://www.umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.8008845/k.3187/General_Conference_Mobile_App.htm
- Reconciling Ministries Network – www.rmnetwork.org
MFSA – www.mfsaweb.org