Voter Registration Basics
Ready to Vote? Look up your registration, print a sample ballot, find a polling place, and view wait times at www.VoteTravis.com!
Tuesday, October 9, 2018 is the deadline to register
for the Tuesday, November 6, 2018 Gubernatorial Election.
You are eligible to register to vote if:
- You are a United States citizen;
- You are a resident of Travis County;
- You are at least 17 years and 10 months old;
- You are not a convicted felon, or, if convicted you have been pardoned or fully discharged your sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, supervision, or probation; and
- You have not been declared by a court to be either totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
Volunteer Deputy Registrars help register eligible citizens to vote by distributing, reviewing, and accepting completed voter registration applications. They serve for two-year terms expiring on December 31 of even-numbered years.
Want to Volunteer?
Training classes are scheduled for the following dates and locations:
- Monday, October 1 at 10:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. – Room 3154, ACC Eastview Campus located at 3401 Webberville Rd, Austin, TX 78702.
- Tuesday, October 2 at 10:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. (Room 410) and 6:30 p.m. (Room 201) – Highland Business Center located at 5930 Middle Fiskville Rd, Austin, TX 78752.
- To schedule a remote training for a group of 15 or more, contact us at (512) 854-9473 or e-mail us.
Classes will begin promptly as scheduled and latecomers will not be admitted.
Volunteer Deputy Registrar Qualifications
To be appointed, an individual must be:
- at least 18 years old;
- a United States citizen; and
- a Texas resident
An individual must not have been:
- determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- convicted of failing to deliver a voter application to a voter registrar;
- convicted of a felony or, if so convicted, must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court, or (2) be pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote;
- convicted of identity theft under Section 32.51 of the Penal Code
Volunteer Deputy Registrar Duties
Volunteer Deputy Registrars help Travis County citizens register to vote by:
- providing a voter registration application;
- assisting in the completion of the application;
- accepting and reviewing the completed application and giving receipts;
- informing the applicant that voter registration certificates are mailed within 30 days;
- submitting the applications in person to our office at 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78751 within 5 calendar days.
THE NEXT ELECTION TAKES PLACE ON
NOVEMBER 6, 2018 GENERAL ELECTION
The General Election will take place on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
Last day to register to vote is Tuesday, October 9, 2018.
Early voting takes place from Monday, October 22, 2018 – Friday, November 2, 2018.
To learn more about ID required for voting in person, check out the FAQs.
If you do not live in Travis County, contact the voter registrar or tax office in your county for training dates and specifics for your county.